Job Title: Community Organizer
Organization: Faith in New Jersey
Location: South Jersey (Camden, Gloucester, Burlington, Cumberland & Atlantic Counties)
Faith in New Jersey is a network of clergy and congregations working with our allies to advance a racial, immigration and economic justice agenda across the state. Faith in New Jersey is seeking a full-time South Jersey Community Organizerto grow our organizing and leadership development work in Camden, Gloucester, Burlington, Cumberland and Atlantic counties, and to help lead our statewide organizing campaigns.
The South Jersey Community Organizer will engage and develop clergy and grassroots community leaders in organizing to protect and expand human rights, dismantle systemic injustice, and increase economic opportunities.
Faith in NJ is an affiliate of the PICO National Network (People Improving Communities through Organizing), the largest network of faith-based community organizing federations in the country.
- Learn the PICO Organizing Model and the PICO approach to leadership development
- Conduct regular relational meetings with clergy, community leaders and organizational allies
- Develop a clear power analysis of the region and the state legislature
- Help recruit new clergy, congregations and lay leaders into the organization
- Train congregational leaders to build organizing teams with the power to win policy changes that promote immigrant justice, economic dignity and criminal justice reform.
- Help lead our statewide justice organizing and support other local campaigns
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience
- Strong public speaking, writing and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills and interest in people
- Comfortable working directly with faith and clergy leaders
- Disciplined and able to work effectively in independently and in teams
- Desire to learn and openness to being challenged
- Experience working in communities of color
- Must be able to speak Spanish
- Experience in organizing with immigrant communities, communities of color, political organizing, union organizing, or related work
Faith in New Jersey has a strong learning culture, including weekly staff development and coaching opportunities and PICO regional and national trainings. We place a high priority on personal learning and creating a respectful multicultural organization. We strongly encourage candidates of color to apply.
Full-time, which will include some evening and weekend work. Opportunities for advancement.
Compensation: Competitive salary of $40,000- $45,000 depending on experience; position includes health benefits.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and reference to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Faith in New Jersey
Faith in New Jersey is a multi-faith and multi-racial network of faith leaders and faith communities working together to protect religious liberties and advance an immigration, racial, economic and human justice agenda at the local, state and federal level. Faith in New Jersey’s mission is to develop grassroots community leaders, analyze the policies that shape our communities, and mobilize faith voices and faith voters to effectively act on the prophetic call to build the Beloved Community.